Humble Orthodoxy aims to promote a diversity of voices with robustness, dignity, and charity. This goal informs our writing and publishing. With this in mind, below are guidelines to consider as you write for Humble Orthodoxy.
- Audience: our primary readers are theologically-minded Christians looking to apply their faith in the church.
- Topics should be relevant to Christian faith and theology, with a bent toward charity and care.
- Preference is given to unique articles that display theological awareness with an emphasis on compelling application for the church
- Entice the curiosity of the reader, using nothing less than winsomeness.
- Temper your confidence of conviction with humility and meekness.
- Bolster your meekness and humility with confidence of conviction.
- All submissions must adhere to Emmaus’s Statement of Common Beliefs.
In order to make our editing process more efficient, below you’ll find style guidelines.
- Articles should range from 800–1,200 words.
- Write in shorter paragraphs. Readability and digestibility are important.
- Avoid passive voice and formatting emphasis through bold, underlines, or exclamation points!
- Have a clear thesis with a cogent train of thought from beginning to end.
- Avoid elevating personal stories over content.
We will make sure the final article is grammatically sound, but keep the following things in consideration:
- Do not capitalize pronouns referring to God.
- Capitalize proper nouns, but not adjectives. (e.g., Bible vs. biblical)
- Footnote sources and citations according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Use parenthetical citations for Scripture references, including the abbreviated translation when Scripture is quoted. e.g., (2 Pet. 1:2, ESV).
- Hyperlinks are helpful when referring to a book, article, video, etc.
4. Submission Instructions
- Email your proposal to email@example.com. Please include:
- A Word document of the complete article (please proofread and edit your submission carefully). Save your document as your proposed title and last name.
- A short bio including name and (if applicable) title or ministry position, academic credentials, publishing history, ministry experience, and other relevant information you would like to include.
- Contact information (name, address, email, phone, social media handles, etc.)
We do not offer compensation for resources submitted to Humble Orthodoxy.